I have been making this Chicken Piccata recipe for years. It never gets old, it’s easy, quick and super delicious. This recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal or a weekend feast. The best part, you only need 30 minutes for it.
This Chicken Piccata recipe is made for 2 to 4 people. It is how much I make for my husband and I for a meal and sometimes we have one serving left over. It is perfect reheated as well.
I highly recommend butterflying the chicken breast and tenderizing it. I love a thin chicken breast. Butterflying the chicken also cuts down on the cooking time.
First, season the chicken with kosher salt, black pepper, and a touch of Cayenne pepper. The cayenne pepper is key, in my opinion. But, go easy if you don’t like spicy flavors so much. I usually season only one side of the breast with a light sprinkle of cayenne and it’s perfect!
Then, dredge the chicken in flour which will give it a nice crust and the flour will thicken the sauce slightly. I add a good amount of stock to this because I love the sauce/gravy when served with pasta, rice, or potatoes. Feel free to cut the stock if you don’t need so much sauce or if you are serving it with veggies.
I’m always on the look-out for capers at my local grocery stores and have found the jumbo ones at my local Home Goods on many occasions. I love browsing through their food isle and always find something interesting to try at a lower cost. Not sponsored. Only a huge fan.
Anyway, I have a step by step video guide for this recipe on my Instagram Stories under the tab “In my Kitchen.” Follow me here.
This is a classic Chicken Piccata that you will love. I promise. It’s easy and can be served with various sides. Like: Potatoes, pasta, roasted or sautéed veggies, rice, etc.
There are several other Italian inspired dishes on my blog. Like this Orechiette with Peas.
There’s also this Eggplant Caponata with Squid Ink Fettuccine.
Should you make any of them, please let me know how you liked them or whether you put your own twist on them. Would love to hear from you.
A classic Chicken Piccata that you will love. It's easy and can be served with various sides. Like: Potatoes, pasta, roasted or sauteed veggies, rice, etc.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 2 Chicken Breasts, butterflied and tenderized
- Kosher Salt, black pepper and Cayenne pepper
- All-purpose flour, about 1/3 cup
- 5 Tbs butter, unsalted
- 3 Tbs Avocado Oil (Or Olive Oil)
- 1 Lemon - juice from 1/2
- 1 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 1/4 Cup Capers and their juice
- Fresh or dried parsley, garnish
- Pasta, Rice, Potato to serve
- Season chicken with salt, black pepper, and a touch of Cayenne pepper. Don't overdo-it with Cayenne, unless you want it spicy.
- Dredge the chicken in flour, on each side, then shake off and place them on a plate.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add 3 Tbs butter to the pan, melt and then add the oil to it.
- Place the dredged chicken breasts into the pan and cook on each side until browned, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the capers to the pan and cook for about 1 minute. Scrape the pan while they are cooking.
- Next, add the chicken stock, lemon juice and bring the mix to a boil. For about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter to the pan. Allow to melt.
- Add the chicken breast back to the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with lemon slices and parsley.