Me and this Creamed Spinach with Eggs dish, go way back to my childhood in Romania.
My mother made this Creamed Spinach with Eggs dish often and I imagine it was due to the fact that this is a very inexpensive meal to make and that it’s quick to get on the table for a family of five. It’s also very delicious and filling.
Sorry Mom but, I made this my own with a few added ingredients. 🙂
All you need is some essential kitchen ingredients and cooked greens. I used spinach here, but you can substitute with whatever cooked greens you wish. Like: Swiss chard, dandelion greens, etc.
I like to serve it with a nice slice of crusty bread; preferably warm crusty bread. Also, my husband eats his with a good sprinkle of hot sauce. Cholula is his go to.
This is a weekly meal for us and we don’t seem to get sick of it. So yummy! And, when I say that we lick the plate clean, I am not kidding! Well, we don’t exactly licking it but, we do wipe it clean with that crusty bread.
And if you don’t believe that I make this all the time, these various photos are proof!
Most of the time, I pick up a giant container of fresh Spinach from Costco and cook it. I use half of it to make a fresh batch of Creamed Spinach with Eggs, and I freeze the other half for another quick batch in the future.
All you have to do is boil the Spinach in salted water for 3-4 minutes, let it drain, then place it in a freezer bag and into the freezer. When you are ready to use it, take it out of the freezer and let it thaw at room temperature for a couple of hours. It could be microwaved for 2-3 minutes as well.
So give this favorite of mine a try and let me know how you like it. Make Popeye proud, because Spinach does make you stronger!!! Enjoy.
Here’s the easy recipe:
Easy to make, budget friendly, comfort meal.
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 10oz Frozen Spinach
- 1 Medium Onion Diced
- 2 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 1 1/3 Cup Broth (Vegetable or Chicken)
- 1/2 Cup Half & Half
- 1 Tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2-4 Fried Eggs
- If you are using fresh Spinach, add it to boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes. Drain.
- If you are using frozen Spinach, make sure it's thawed and drained.
- Heat a medium sized sautee pan on medium heat.
- Add the butter and the oil to the warm pan.
- Next, add the chopped onions and red pepper flakes and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic. Mix in and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and allow to toast for about a minute.
- Whisk in the half and half, the broth and sour cream.
- Continue whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the spinach and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest and cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Cook the eggs while you wait.
- Enjoy with a slice of crusty bread!
- Calories 372
- Total Fat: 27 g 41.54%
- Saturated Fat: 12 g 60%
- Cholesterol: 226 mg 75.33%
- Sodium: 1337 mg 55.71%
- Potassium: 969 mg 27.69%
- Total Carbohydrate: 20 g %
- Sugar: 7 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Vitamin A: 282.88%
- Calcium: 266 mg 26.6%
- Iron: 5 mg 27.78%