I came home from work today without any dinner plans. I opened my fridge and had chicken thighs out that needed to be cooked. Here’s what I came up with:
I was going for something easy, flavorful and light. I am a huge fan of chicken thighs and this marinade is perfect for them. The cast iron skillet gives them a nice flavorful crust too. Yum!
The carrot salad is refreshing. The ACV, tarragon, garlic and the cayenne pepper make a great mix. Add the red onions and the carrots and you got yourself a nice crunchy bite.
The garlicky yogurt sauce brings everything together very nicely. The addition of dill reminds me of summer. If I could put this sauce on everything I eat, I would. It is so tasty and addictive!
I know there is a lot going on here, but don’t let it intimidate you. Start with the marinade for the chicken, then the carrot salad. Then, cook the chicken, and while that’s going, make the yogurt sauce. Most of this can be pre-made the night before also.
I will definitely put this chicken in my bi-weekly rotation. It is easily paired with any vegetable, quinoa/rice and even noodles.
As always, have fun cooking and enjoy!
Harissa Chicken and Carrot Salad with Yogurt Sauce
Ingredients for the Chicken
- 1 Lb Chicken Thighs (6-8 pieces)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 Teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2-1 Tablespoon Harissa Paste
- Generous pinch of each, salt and pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, cumin, Italian Seasoning, lemon juice, salt, pepper and Harissa Paste. Add the chicken and marinade while you prep the rest of the meal, 20 minutes or so.
- In a medium cast iron skillet, on medium, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Cook the chicken on each side for 6-7 minutes, until golden brown.
Ingredients for the Carrot Salad
- 3 Large carrots
- 2 Tablespoons red onions, finely chopped
- 1 Teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon honey
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- Good pinch of salt and pepper
- Peel the carrots and cut them in half. Place them in a food processor and pulse until roughly shredded. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix the red onions, tarragon, cayenne pepper, ACV, honey. Then slowly mix in the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix in the shredded carrots and set aside until ready to serve.
Ingredients for the Yogurt Sauce
- 1 Cup Maple Hill Plain Yogurt
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dill
- Good pinch of salt
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl and enjoy!!
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com