Some of you expressed interest via private messages and comments for the recipe of these stuffed peppers. Thank you all for being so awesome and for helping me expand on this little hobby of mine.
So about this recipe… It is fairly easy. It does take a little time but it is a perfect weekend kind of meal. Or, if you have the time during the week, by all means, treat yourself.
It can also be easily prepped the night before and popped in the oven the next day. Whatever works for you.
Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 6 small peppers (I used yellow)
- Olive oil
- 1 Lb Italian Sausage
- 1 Medium onion chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Cups Jasmine Rice (cooked)
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 can tomato sauce (15oz)
- 1/2 Cup Pizza Blend Cheese (Kroger)
- Italian Seasoning
- Fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prep a baking dish with cooking spray. I used a oval casserole dish.
- Wash the peppers and wipe them dry. Cut the tops off each pepper and also clean out the seeds.
- In a cast iron skillet, drizzled with EVOO, cook the Italian Sausage until no longer pink but still juicy. Remove the sausage to a bowl and set aside.
- Return the skillet to the stove and on medium heat, cook the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute.
- Add the cooked sausage and the cooked rice to the skillet with the onion mixture and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Fill each pepper with the sausage/rice mixture. Be sure to pack the mixture in there well.
- Place the stuffed peppers in the baking dish and top each pepper with two tablespoons of the tomato sauce.
- Pour the leftover tomato sauce in the bottom of the baking dish.
- If you have leftover sausage/rice mixture, scoop it into the baking pan as well.
- Bake the peppers covered with a lid or aluminum foil for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, remove the lid and place a good pinch of cheese on top of each pepper. Sprinkle each pepper with Italian seasoning and return to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh Italian parsley.
- Serve with a nice side salad or fresh bread.
Notes: If you shop at Trader Joe’s, pick up the frozen Organic Jasmine Rice which cooks in the microwave for 3 minutes. A great time saver.
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com