Who said that oatmeal had to be served sweet all the time?? Don’t get me wrong, I love my oatmeal with brown sugar, a side of fruit, honey or nut butter. But this version is so much better for a savory breakfast, healthy lunch or dinner option.
I used Coach’s Oats for this recipe and followed the directions on the package to make the oatmeal. I substituted the water with organic Chicken Broth (I had some left over from another meal and I was happy to not waste it) and seasoned it with salt, pepper and Za’atar. Then I sautéed a half of a red pepper, garbanzo beans and added a good handful of baby spinach. Another light sprinkle of salt, pepper and Za’atar made a delicious mix. Lastly, I topped it with a deliciously fried egg from Vital Farms.
If you haven’t used Za’atar before, please give it a shot. It is such a great blend of Mediterranean spices; thyme, oregano, marjoram, sumac… Yum!
Try this for an easy, quick, and guilt free meal. Let me know how you like it.
Remember, you can always experiment with the ingredients too! I picked this colorful bunch because this is what I had in my fridge on this day. Start cooking, my friend!!!
Oatmeal Power Bowl
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1/3 Cups Oats
- 1/2 Red Pepper
- 1/4 Cups Garbanzo Beans
- Spinach – a good handful of
- 1 Egg
- Bring the Chicken Broth to a boil and add the oats. Season with a pinch each of salt, pepper and Za’atar. Cook for 5 minutes then remove from the heat. Let the oatmeal rest for one minute.
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil. Then sautee the red peppers for about 2 minutes.
- Add the garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and sautee for another 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and saute for an additional minute. Remove the pan from heat and season with salt, pepper and a good pinch of Za’atar.
- Heat a small pan and fry the egg to your liking with a touch of butter or olive oil.
- Place the oatmeal in a plate and top with the veggies and the fried egg.
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com
Leave a Reply