Looking for a flavorful, hearty and delicious bowl of soup? Then, this one is for you!
I’m a sucker for Mexican spices. Any recipe with Cumin and Mexican Oregano in it is a winner in my book. Now mix these spices with a warm broth, chicken and noodles, and you’ve got yourself a delicious, comforting mix of YUM!
Did I mention that this recipe shouldn’t take you more than 30 minutes to make? Oh, and if you go the shredded chicken route (read the TIP below), it should take less than 20 minutes.
Will you join my Mexican spices obsession?? Start making this soup and let me know what you think.
If you are in Detroit and need to warm up, Mexican Village Restaurant serves a delicious soup called Caldo de Cancun. It is very similar but there is something in their version that I can’t pinpoint. If you know what it is, let me know.
A flavorful soup made with hearty chicken and Mexican inspired spices.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Onion (Medium) chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves chopped
- 1 Lb chicken breast raw cubed or cooked & shredded
- 1 15oz Can Garbanzo Beans
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons salt
- 2 Teaspoons Cumin
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon dried Mexican Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Chipotle Chile Powder
- 1 Tomato – Medium, diced
- 4 Cups Organic Chicken Stock
- 4 Cups water
- 4 Ounces Noodles of your choice – I used Capellini
- 1 Lime – 1/2 Lime juiced and 1/2 Lime sliced for garnish
- Queso Fresco
- Cilantro (Optional)
- Flour Tortillas or Tortilla Chips for serving (Optional)
- Heat the oil in a large pot on medium heat. I used a stainless steel Dutch Oven. (Calphalon)
- Saute the onions for about 3 minutes.
- Add the raw chicken and chopped garlic and saute for 6 minutes or so, until the chicken begins to brown. Stir the mixture a few times.
- Add the spices (salt, cumin, chili powder, coriander, oregano, Chile powder) and cook for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, Garbanzo beans, stock and water.
- Bring the soup to a boil and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Approximately 5 minutes. (Thin noodles such as Capellini only need a few minutes to cook.)
- Add the lime juice and give it a last stir and taste.
- Add a good pinch of Queso Fresco to a bowl, top it with a few ladles of soup, then top with sliced or cubed avocado, Cilantro, jalapenos and a sprinkle of Queso Fresco. Serve with warm flour tortillas or chips.
- Calories 405
- Total Fat: 11 g 16.92%
- Saturated Fat: 3 g 15%
- Cholesterol: 58 mg 19.33%
- Sodium: 1537 mg 64.04%
- Potassium: 515 mg 14.71%
- Total Carbohydrate: 47 g %
- Sugar: 4 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Vitamin A: 11.2%
- Calcium: 82 mg 8.2%
- Iron: 2 mg 11.11%
TIP: You could use shredded chicken breast for this recipe to simplify it even more. Simply add the shredded chicken to the pot together with the noodles. Let everything come together for 5 minutes and Voila!
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com