Our Walter is six years old today. He was born on 11/11/2011. He’s a special pup.
I remember the first time when I saw him at an adoption event… He was 8 weeks old. He was so sweet, quiet and calm. After about an hour of waiting, my husband and I were informed that he would be ours. He continued to be sweet and sleepy during the long car ride home.
The next day, Walter was no longer quiet and calm. My husband swears that he was drugged during the adoption event. During the first six months, we lost a few couch pillows and a pair or two of shoes. We also lost a lot of our landscaping and discovered a tunnel or two behind our garage. During the digging process, Walter found a real treat; rat poison! Of course he ate it. He also loves eating paper towels and tissue.
Walter has come a long way in the last six years. He handled the arrival of our two boys like a champ. He’s been the sweetest to them and endured pulling of his tail, pushing and attempts by them to ride him like a horse. Not once has he reacted in a negative way. He loves these boys just as much as they love him. It is clear when he does a security check of their room a few times a week.
Walter is a Beagle, Lab and maybe Hound Dog mix. He has the most annoying, whiny and howling kind of bark. I’m certain that our neighbors can’t stand him as he goes on a whiny spree every time a dog walks by. He has a love hate relationship with the mail lady and sounds super mean when a piece of mail slides through the mail slot.
He’s a jumper, an expert cuddler, and a sideways sleeper. Lucky for me, Walter sleeps in our bed, and takes up most of the space. Ahhh we love this dog!
Happy Birthday, buddy! Today, you deserve to eat your cake from fine china.
To celebrate, I baked Walter a cake. He loved it and so did my youngest son. 😛 If you have a special pup in your life, bake this cake to celebrate them. Super easy!
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2 Tablespoons of raw honey
- 3 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons coconut oil melted
- 1 handful of shredded carrots
- 1/2 of an apple chopped
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a round cake pan with coconut oil.
- Add all of the cake ingredients, except the chopped apples, to a food processor or blender and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the chopped apples then pour the batter into the greased cake pan.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes and let cool.
- Once cool, remove the cake from the pan onto a cutting board.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out three to four rounds.
- In a small bowl, mix together the peanut butter and yogurt.
- Spread the mixture on top of each cake round and stack them.
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com