This is a simple pasta dish to accompany any protein or salad for a quick dinner.
I used leftover grilled Italian sausage for a quick Monday evening dinner. I could also imagine this pasta dish served with baked or grilled chicken.
Nix the meat and serve it with a side salad. You’ve got many options with this easy dish.
It is tasty, creamy and oh so comforting. Now, get to cooking and let me know what you think.
Also, don’t forget to follow my blog for more recipes like this one.
Orecchiette with Peas
- 1 pkg Orrechiette Pasta (16 oz.)
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 Cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, add salt and cook pasta until al dente.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil.
- Chop the onions and add to the saute pan. Cook until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour and mix well. Cook for 3-5 minutes until slightly toasted.
- Add in the chicken broth and scrape up the bottom of the pan. Mix well, until smooth. Let the mixture come to a slow boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the peas to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the cheese and remove from the heat.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and mix it all in.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and red pepper flakes.
Note: you could use additional chicken broth should the sauce get thicker than you would like.
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com