I was obsessed over watermelon salads all summer long. Actually, I am still obsessing…
I tried many variations and none of them disappointed.
This mix was especially crisp and tasty. The crunchy cucumber, juicy watermelon, sweet mango, spicy jalapeño and the basil make a wonderful union. Then, you add the dressing and OMG.
I made this for some wonderful ladies a few weekends ago, while we were spending a weekend away at a beautiful cottage on Lake Huron. It was a side dish next to chicken kabobs served with naan and hummus. The best!
So hurry up, friends… make this salad before summer comes to an end. Or, make this salad to remind you of the wonderful flavors of summer. I know I will. Xo
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 medium ripe mangos cubed
- 4 Persian cucumbers sliced (Substitute 1 English cucumber)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper sliced thinly
- 5 large basil leaves sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Micro greens (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the ginger and rice wine vinegar.
- Cube the watermelon. The smaller the better, and add to the bowl along with the sliced cucumber, cubed mango, basil ribbons and jalapeño slices.
- Toss the ingredients in the bowl lightly, season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until cool.
- Garnish with a handful of micro greens.
- Serve and enjoy!
Drain some of the liquid from the bowl before serving.
Add a sprinkle of feta or goats cheese for an extra flavor kick.
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com