A Watermelon Salad is the ultimate summer side dish that pairs well with pretty much anything. I tried many variations of this Watermelon Salad and none of them disappointed.
This mix was especially crisp and tasty. The crunchy cucumber, juicy watermelon, sweet mango, spicy jalapeño, and the basil make a wonderful union. Then, you add the dressing and OMG. It is a real refreshing treat.
I made this for some wonderful ladies a few weekends ago, while we were spending a weekend away at a beautiful cottage on Lake Huron. It was a side dish next to chicken kabobs served with naan and hummus. The best!
I have also paired this watermelon salad with freshly grilled salmon and shrimp kebobs. It is a wonderful addition to any meal, it’s healthy and so refreshing.
So hurry up, friends. Make this salad before summer comes to an end. Or, make this salad to remind you of the wonderful flavors of summer. I know I will. Xo
- 4 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 medium ripe mangos cubed
- 4 Persian cucumbers sliced (Substitute 1 English cucumber)
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper sliced thinly
- 5 large basil leaves sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Microgreens (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the ginger and rice wine vinegar.
- Cube the watermelon. The smaller the better, and add to the bowl along with the sliced cucumber, cubed mango, basil ribbons, and jalapeño slices.
- Gently toss the ingredients in the bowl. Season with salt, pepper, and refrigerate until cool; at least 30 minutes.
- Garnish with a handful of microgreens if you wish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Drain some of the liquid from the bowl before serving.
Add a sprinkle of feta or goats cheese for an extra flavor kick.
The recipe was written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com
gail mckendryMay 8, 2020 at 10:42 am
Hannah HillerMay 8, 2020 at 10:46 am