Over the weekend, I made a batch of pancakes as per the request of my boys. I make my pancakes from scratch and they love them.
The recipe below, makes a batch of about 10-15 pancakes. I tend to freeze about half each time and they re-heat in a toaster or microwave really well.
I decided to play around and added the power spices, turmeric and ginger, to a batch for myself. No, my kids did not eat these! They prefer them plain dipped in honey or syrup, of course.
I also sliced up some sweet peaches for a few of them as well as blueberries. I finished them off with a light sprinkle of honey and powdered sugar. They were delicious! Try them for yourself with the recipe below.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 3 tbsp melted butter + Butter for cooking
- Sift all the dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the egg.
- Melt the butter and mix with the milk and vanilla extract.
- Whisk the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients already in the mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Heat an electric griddle to 350 degrees or a non stick skillet on your stove top.
- Melt butter on your cooking surface and ladle batter, making pancakes of whatever size you prefer.
- Add fresh fruit (Optional) and cook each side until lightly browned. Enjoy!
Recipe written and tested by Hannah Hiller of Detroitisforfoodies.com